|Our House Museum
The centerpiece of our museum, the 1736 Bates-Scofield Home, captures life as it was in Early American Darien, known as Middlesex Parish at the time. Built around a massive central chimney with a huge fireplace and beehive oven, the house is an original Darien farmhouse thoughtfully restored to its 18th century origins.
Our permanent collection includes items that convey the history of early Darien and the Bates-Scofield homestead itself. Objects in our collection date from the 18th to mid-nineteenth century and represent the artifacts of eighteenth century farm life in Darien.
Additionally, we maintain one of the largest costume collections of pre-1935 garments in Connecticut. The costume collection dates from 1740 to the present. The Museum is also home to an important collection of locally made, antique quilts and coverlets.