Our House Museum

The centerpiece of our museum, the 1736 Bates-Scofield Home, captures life as it was in Colonial and Early American Darien, known as Middlesex Parish at the time. Built around a massive central chimney with a huge fireplace and beehive oven, the house is an original Darien farmhouse thoughtfully restored to its 18th century origins.

Our permanent collection includes items that convey the history of early Darien and the Bates-Scofield homestead itself. Objects in our collection date from the 18th to mid-nineteenth century and represent the artifacts of life in Darien.

Additionally, we maintain a large collection of historic costumes and accessories dating from the mid 18th century to the present. (For more information, click here.) The Museum is also home to an important collection of locally made antique quilts and coverlets.

Our Barn

Our Scofield Barn is a soaring post and beam construction dating from 1827 and it is original to the Bates-Scofield Homestead. In 2008, we restored and reunited it with the home. Currently it serves as our primary exhibition space and can be reserved for private events.