The Darien Historical Society, founded in 1953, is the prime resource in the town of Darien, Connecticut dedicated to collecting, preserving and exhibiting materials of local historical value and focuses on educating the community about Darien’s heritage.
The Society supports, maintains, and operates the eighteenth century Bates-Scofield House Museum, the 1827 Scofield Barn Exhibit Hall, and the Darien Historical Archives and Resource Library.
The Darien Historical Society, a 501(c) (3) organization, serves as the local history resource of Darien, through its acquisition and preservation of original photographs, documents, books and artifacts, and provides community access to these primary resources through exhibitions, lectures and educational programs, as well as through its public library.
The Darien Historical Society relies on private funding from membership dues and contributions as well as from our program revenue and merchandise.
Board of Directors
The Darien Historical Society is governed by a Board of Directors of area community members. Individual Board members serve a three year term, renewable for one additional consecutive term.
In addition, an Advisory Council, also of area community volunteers, serves to assist the Board of Directors in advisory and consulting roles.
The current Advisory Council members are: